Purchased by the City in 1868, there are 1,017 acres (one half mile wide and 3 miles long) with meadows, playfields, gardens, lakes and waterfalls. Landscaped by Scotsman John McLaren, this park is a City treasure.
Mr. McLaren garnered international attention for his work at the 1915 Pan Pacific International Exposition. Park Superintendent's Residence, Edward R. Swain, architect. Built in 1896, landmark No. 175. Mr. McLaren was the second Park Superintendent and resided here for 53 years while he held that position
Other treats include a great Victorian conservatory, the Japanese Tea Garden (developed for the 1894 California Midwinter International Exposition),M. H. de Young Memorial Museum, Strybing Arboretum, polo field, windmills and buffalo!
People have been enjoying these outdoor spaces for decades...there are so many things to do.
Particularly enjoyable is a meandering drive in the late afternoon when the sun filters at an angle through the large tree canopies. The effect is magical.